Welcome to The Crown Estate
We are first and foremost a commercial organisation. We have a mandate under the Crown Estate Act 1961 to deliver a return on our assets - in other words to make a profit. And all our profit goes to the Treasury for the benefit of the nation.
Online annual report and accounts
Visit our online annual report and accounts.
Want to know when our next online annual reports are launched? Please sign up.
We delivered a strong financial performance for the year ended 31 March 2013: our net revenue surplus (profit) of £252.6 million represents an increase of £12.4 million, or 5.2 per cent on last year's profit. Capital value was £8.6 billion, up 7 per cent on 2011/12.
During the past 10 years we have seen our net revenue surplus grow by 43 per cent and delivered a total of over £2.1 billion to the Treasury for the benefit of the nation. We have also seen an increase in the value of the property portfolio in the last decade and generated capital growth of 105.6 per cent and an annualised total return of 11.96 per cent.
Financial highlights for 2012/13 include:
- During 2012/13 our direct total contribution to the Treasury was £290.4 million. Although mainly made up of our net surplus (profit), it also includes taxes paid by employees and The Crown Estate.
- Total property value, inclusive of share of joint venture and other property investments, increased to £8.1 billion, an increase of 7.2 per cent compared with the figure at 31 March 2012.
- Assets under management have increased by 13.3 per cent to £610 million.
- The urban portfolio is now valued at £5.9 billion and is 9 per cent ahead of its pre-recession peak.
- The rural and coastal portfolio grew by 3.2 per cent to £1.4 billion but, after net capital receipts of £100 million, underlying capital growth was 10.4 per cent.
- The energy and infrastructure portfolio has grown by 8.2 per cent to £564 million.
- The Windsor portfolio has grown by 4 per cent to £204 million.
Annual report and regional inserts
Download PDF versions of our 2013 annual report and regional inserts:
Get in touch
Response to the Scottish Affairs Committee 07 March 2014
New harbour lease agreed with Lymington Harbour Commissioners 28 February 2014
The Savill Garden looks forward to spring and summer displays 27 February 2014