Welcome to The Crown Estate
Our principal forest areas in Somerset and Glenlivet are open for public use through a wide range of waymarked paths and cycle trails covering some 160 kilometres (100 miles). We welcome events and activities and encourage educational use of our land for forest schools.
The rural estate includes almost 11,000 hectares (27,000 acres) of forestry. The majority of this is managed 'in-hand' but just over 4,000 hectares (9,900 acres) is leased to the Forestry Commission. A further 3,000 plus hectares lies on our Windsor estate.
Our management strategy is to optimise revenue and capital growth through active management while delivering a wide range of stewardship objectives.
By taking an approach to silvicultural (woodland) management that prioritises improvement programmes we are able to improve timber quality, commercial returns and woodland structure.
We are actively involved in a number of projects across the UK to promote tree planting and have developed a Forests for the Future education resource for young learners aged 10-12.
Our principal forest areas are open for public use and a wide range of attractive and enjoyable waymarked paths and trails are provided for walking, cycling horse riding and other outdoor activities. We welcome their use for events and activities and encourage educational use for forest schools and nature walks.
For details and further information please visit:
In this section
Get in touch
- 24 February 2014 Northumberland rural estate purchased
- 05 February 2014 Woodland activity centre granted planning permission
- 21 January 2014 Bringing in 2014 with raft of activity across strategic land portfolio
- 05 February 2014 Dunster woodland activity centre gets go ahead
- 15 January 2014 Work commences on Lecht road junction project
- 12 December 2013 Early Christmas present for West Somerset Community College
- 26 November 2013 Exe Estuary Trail complete
- 21 November 2013 Delamere regeneration plans open for public consultation