Welcome to The Crown Estate
Purchased in 1985 and 1987.
Use: Agricultural / Managed forestry / Minerals
Comprises 7,000 hectares (17,300 acres); with agricultural, residential, commercial and sporting tenancies. Purchased in stages from Church Commissioners (1963), Annandale Estate (1968) and Wamphray Estate (1970), with smaller purchases in intervening years.
Ashby St Ledger
Use: Agricultural / Residential
Purchased in 2005. Estate of over 930 hectares (2,300 acres) including conventional arable land and organic dairy farms, woodland, residential property and sporting.
Reputed to have been the historic home of Robert Catesby, leader of the Gunpowder Plot of 1605, although the house no longer exists.
A small part is ancient possession, the bulk being purchased since 1855. In 2011 an archaeological project unearthed over 45,000 mediaeval artifacts on land near Sempringham.
Purchased in 1926, 1938, 1992, 1997 and 2000.
Partly ancient possession and partly purchased between 1860 and 1876, plus purchase in 2000.
Use: Agricultural / Forestry
Bulk of estate purchased in 1950. Agricultural with small woodlands.
- 19 January 2012 - Consulting Blandford Forum, Dorset
Use: Agricultural / Minerals (hard rock)
Purchased between 1907 and 1912.
Use: Agricultural / Forestry
Mostly purchased in 1930. Major part of the estate is leased to the Forestry Commission.
- 14 June 2012 - Facilitating abbey restoration
Ancient possession, originally part of Delamere Forest. Primarily sand-production sites.
Some ancient possession but mainly purchased in 1947 - 48 and 1992.
Purchased in 1858 and 1962-64.
Purchased in 1948, 1992, 1995 and 1997.
Use: Agricultural / Managed forestry / Minerals / Residential
Purchased in 1937 and added to in 1990 and 1999.
- 16 April 2013 - Go-ahead for next step in Fochabers new housing plans
- 09 October 2012 - Land provided for Women’s Land Army monument
Purchased in 1989 and 1992.
Purchased in 1950.
Use: Agricultural / Forestry / Minerals (brick clay)
Purchased in 1932.
Purchased in 1931.
- 12 February 2013 - Pupils prepare for life on the farm
Purchased in 1947. On western edge of the Fens, with Great North Road forming general western boundary and London-Edinburgh railway line dividing estate.
Reduced in 2007 to 1,509 ha to help facilitate the Great Fen Project, returning farmland to wetland. A further 750 ha to be sold to project, being carried out in partnership with Natural England, Environment Agency, Huntingdon District Council and Cambridgeshire Wildlife Trust. This is one of the most ambitious habitat restoration projects ever undertaken in Britain and will create a 3,700 hectare wetland between Huntingdon and Peterborough.
Inland Wales (Commons)
Purchased in 1964 - 1999. Part reclaimed from The Wash in 1965 and 1996.
Purchased in 1981. Only surviving practice in Europe of medieval strip farming
- 06 December 2012 - Laxton’s Jubilee pride captured for future generations
Purchased in 1989.
Use: Agricultural / Industrial
On the Isle of Sheppey. A small part is ancient possession, the remainder being purchased between 1850 and 1900.
- 16 September 2011 - Neats Court: Sheppey regeneration planning application successful
Use: Agricultural / Managed forestry
Purchased mainly in the 19th century
Purchased in 1959 and 2003. Includes innovative new housing development in village of Burnhill Green, on the border of Staffordshire and Shropshire; officially opened July 2010.
The homes are built to Level 4 of the Code for Sustainable Homes, and aim to reduce carbon emissions by approximately 25 per cent. They incorporate the latest energy-saving technology, including rainwater harvesting, ground source heat pumps and underfloor heating.
- 28 August 2012 - Commemorative tree planted in Burnhill Green
- 23 February 2012 - Burnhill Green development ‘Highly commended’
- 22 June 2011 - The Crown Estate opens new Jubilee Walk
- 01 June 2010 - Patshull development scoops top Staffordshire award
Mainly ancient possession.
Use: Common Land / Minerals (Portland stone)
Ancient possession. Section at Portland Bill purchased in 1996. Includes Portland stone quarries - famous stone used in the building of St Paul's and many other significant buildings. Mostly common land managed in partnership with The Court Leet of the Royal Manor of Portland.
- 20 July 2012 - The Olympics Come to Portland!
Purchased in 1932. Mostly in Hertfordshire, part of the estate is in Bedfordshire.
Purchased from 1958 onwards. Although partly in Sussex, most of the estate is in Kent.
Purchased in 1950.
Use: Agricultural / Minerals (sand and gravel)
Partly ancient possession, partly allotted under enclosure awards and partly purchased. Stanford Rivers Farm purchased in 1996. Mostly in Essex, part of the estate is in Greater London.
- 10 January 2012 - Elsenham plans revised following consultation feedback
Use: Agricultural, leisure (golf course), residential
Ancient possession added to by purchase in 1972.
Largely reclaimed from The Humber Estuary during the 17th - 19th centuries. Further purchases in 1913, 1947, 1981 and 1995.
- 18 April 2013 - 87 new homes approved for Skirlaugh
A small part is ancient possession, the bulk being purchased in 1859, 1871, 1962 and 1999.
Use: Agricultural / Residential / Commercial
Purchased in 2007. Comprises 18 equipped farms, a further 18 lettings of farmland, three land parcels let as grazing, 52 residential properties, commercial leases, including the Cheshire Showground, 84 hectares (209 acres) of woodland and a number of sporting agreements providing rights for shooting, fishing and boating. Extends to 1,460 hectares (3,608 acres).
Does not include Tabley House - this is owned by The University of Manchester.
- 30 November 2012 - Primary school students celebrate National Tree Week
Use: Miscellaneous / retail
Includes: Boudicca's Fort. Former agricultural land. Part of remainder now zoned for employment park.
Use: Agricultural / Managed forestry / Minerals (hard rock)
Purchased in 1901 and added to in 1996. Includes Tintern Abbey, which is in the care of CADW under a long term management agreement with The Crown Estate.
Partly ancient possession, partly allotted under enclosure awards and partly purchased.
Ancient possession, originally part of Wychwood Forest, disafforested after 1850.